The SARNET2 Source Term work package is divided into three tasks:
- Oxidising impact on source term (OX)
- Iodine chemistry in the Reactor Cooling System (RCS) and in the containment (IOD)
- Bringing research results into reactor applications (ST-RA)
The main research topics in OX are:
• Oxidation of fuel and cladding materials and release of fission products in air containing gas flow.
• Release of fission products from overheated high burnup and mixed oxide (MOX) fuels.
• Transport of fission products, especially of ruthenium, during an air ingress scenario in RCS.
The main research topics in IOD are:
• Iodine chemistry in containment including
- formation, behaviour and destruction of organic iodine compounds as well as that of iodine oxides
- the effect of Passive Autocatalytic Recombiners (PARs) on iodine behaviour
- the effect of sump impurities on iodine volatilisation
• High temperature chemistry of iodine in RCS in severe accident conditions.
• Iodine source term after a Steam Generator Tube Rupturein Design Basis Accident conditions.
The main research topics in ST-RA are:
• Assessment of the significance of iodine chemistry on source term uncertainties.
• Code calculations benchmarks on e.g. Thai and Phebus-FP experiments
• Creation and maintenance of reference data-books on iodine and ruthenium chemistry